Response to Mr/Ms Seasurface at yahoo dot com
[see comments to 9.03.2005: Camp Messianism, or, the Hopes of Poetry in Late-Late Capitalism]
You didn’t sign your name. That’s no fair. Please read the very first post on this blog. It’s the very first item on the sidebar.
---
Well, um, first of all, you're not in the least bit confused, so knock that phony shit off, OK?
Anybody who subtitles their essay “the Hopes of Poetry in Late-Late Capitalism” is leaving themselves open to exactly the response I had.
Nealon is not being merely descriptive. The poets are presented as being emblematic. He makes value judgments throughout the essay, and your insistence that he is being merely descriptive and/or not interested in value smacks of ideological mystification.
I respect all the poets that Nealon writes about. But Nealon makes sweeping statements about their political relevance. This makes me want to question 1) the criteria by which he makes these judgements and, 2) whether the poets whom he has chosen satisfy his criteria.
Nealon signals his distaste for, as he puts it, “a sort of lecturing, political poetry”. Hence my concluding exhortation that Nealon spend some time with Roque Dalton, a great civic poet. And I will add a poet that I am sure Nealon has read and who was also a great civic poet: Pier Paolo Pasolini.
I’m still rooting for Christopher Nealon, and if you will sign your name, then I’ll root for you, too.
You didn’t sign your name. That’s no fair. Please read the very first post on this blog. It’s the very first item on the sidebar.
---
Well, um, first of all, you're not in the least bit confused, so knock that phony shit off, OK?
Anybody who subtitles their essay “the Hopes of Poetry in Late-Late Capitalism” is leaving themselves open to exactly the response I had.
Nealon is not being merely descriptive. The poets are presented as being emblematic. He makes value judgments throughout the essay, and your insistence that he is being merely descriptive and/or not interested in value smacks of ideological mystification.
I respect all the poets that Nealon writes about. But Nealon makes sweeping statements about their political relevance. This makes me want to question 1) the criteria by which he makes these judgements and, 2) whether the poets whom he has chosen satisfy his criteria.
Nealon signals his distaste for, as he puts it, “a sort of lecturing, political poetry”. Hence my concluding exhortation that Nealon spend some time with Roque Dalton, a great civic poet. And I will add a poet that I am sure Nealon has read and who was also a great civic poet: Pier Paolo Pasolini.
I’m still rooting for Christopher Nealon, and if you will sign your name, then I’ll root for you, too.


0 Comments:
<< Home